Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Ghosts of Exes Past



Somewhere in between your first comment and your last
My inner stirrings knew I was competing with your past

There wasn’t just one,
That’s not how you move
There was Molly, then Kisha,
You had quite a few

I listened intently as you went on
How they broke your heart
And did you all wrong

Playing back your entire relationship songs
With clear indications you haven’t moved on

The ghosts of exes past still lingers
As your aura gets consumed by these old clingers

It’s a dance between your heart & mind that won’t break
You want to move on but you just can’t

I feel for you because you’d be amazing to date
But on the low moving forward might be a mistake 

Those beautiful brown eyes that penetrate my soul
Also hold a place of stories untold

A man wanting the best for his family
A trait most women want and would envy
ANOTHER woman for having on her plate
You just realized she wasn’t it too late 

It saddens me to see you in such a state
But the best things in life are worth the wait

That’s where you and I come into play
I know I offer you a safe space to stay

We talk all night into the early mornings
Laughing, philosophizing and exploring
Days turn into nights and still not boring
Eventually me falling asleep, loud ass snoring

As soon as we get comfortable in our cuddle curl
The iPhone goes ding and serves to deter
You no longer my man, me no longer your girl
The reality of that interrupting our world

I want you to move on from that energy
Don’t hold that against me, I am just really stingy

I want you unencumbered
Feeling your best
Out in the open lovers
No distress

Our union is certainly blessed
We fit really well without all the stress

Omg, don’t even get me started on the sex
But you can’t hit that sweet spot still worrying about your ex
You jokingly said, “it’s not the looks, it’s the hooks baby”

I chuckled and hit you with a rhetorical “Maybe”
“Seems like she’s Captain of the Hooks in you lately” 

Yea, I know that last line had to sting
But sometimes you gotta be bold when building up a King  

You’re so dope to me and we telepathically speak
It got so bad you started to invade my dreams
So I am sorry for that harsh and direct critique
But not really because I didn’t misspeak

The man in you talks directly to the woman in me
Things are looking up
Interests are piqued

In life, there are no guarantees
Only this moment,
which will soon be history

We have our own chamber of spirits to create
Our path is before us,
it’s not too late
To make a date,
with our future
Even though your young ass got me feeling like a cougar

That’s just the kind of draw that you have
If you forgot it, it’s okay, I am here to bring it back

I really think that we can make it last
You just need to give up the ghosts of exes past 

No comments:

Post a Comment